Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

WOOLY BEAR CATERPILLAR

Pyrrharctia isabella, the Isabella tiger moth.
This morning while weeding around the "chicken coop" I lifted a rock, he was hiding under it.  This winter has been extremely mild.  It seems he was a good prognosticator.

The rock he was under is located in front of the old chicken coop which is now my potting shed.

I looked up who his mommy was and I can say I haven't seen many of them around.  I guess that is why I don't see many of the caterpillars. I visited the following site:


I did find out that my garden is not endangered by his presence.  This week the temps are to stay at or above freezing.  We will be very lucky indeed if the St. Louis area gets by without one of their famous ice storms. 

For more blogs by me visit at:
A blog mostly about quilting, but cooking, poetry, prose and a little gardening,
Not a garden blog.  There are articles which have nothing to do with creating or gardening. 
There are blogs on the new born baby kittens we found and are mothering.  It is a blog where I will sometimes voice my opinions which will always be environmentally friendly.
As always, any pictures or writings are my own, if not credit will be given to the contributor. Please do not use without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment