Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

LIGHT AS AIR

It's cold and windy out today. I am not going to be out in it.  So I decided to go through papers, notes I had jotted down this past summer.   I came across this poem I wrote about an experience with a feathered friend who had ventured indoors.

Have you ever held air in your hand?
I have, the feeling is, oh so grand,
Today in my kitchen, it was a surprise,
On the floor, right before my eyes.

Was the smallest of earth's flying machines,
Of the prettiest colors found in dreams,
Its fragility, its fright, I was certain of,
I picked her up with gentle love.

She nestled in the warmth of my hand,
I rescued her from where she did land,
From the way she acted I think she was hit,
The ceiling fan knocked her around a bit.

After awhile she showed signs of flight,
I ran to release her while it was still light,
I opened my hand, her wings did spread,
With out a thank you, to the tree she fled.

To the feeder came one, was it the one who fled?
Is approaching the house something she dreads?
Or was it another, taking a sip of sweet,
Dining at our feeder filled with hummers treat.

She was not even as big as a joint and a half on my thumb and not as fat either.  It was an amazing and awesome experience for me.

For more blogs by me visit at:
A blog mostly about quilting, but cooking, poetry, prose and a little gardening,
 
Not a garden blog.  There are articles which have nothing to do with creating or gardening. 
There are blogs on the new born baby kittens we found and are mothering.  It is a blog where I will sometimes voice my opinions which will always be environmentally friendly.
 
As always, any pictures or writings are my own,
if not credit will be given to the contributor.
Please do not use without permission.




No comments:

Post a Comment